Saturday, February 8, 2014

Welcome to the Centre Co. Mesonet!

Welcome to my new blog. Since installing a weather station at my house here in State College, PA in 1997 (the year I started working at AccuWeather), another station at AccuWeather in 2005, and several since, I have become the unofficial record keeper, if you will, at least of the extreme temperatures, rainfall and winds reported online for our county. After 2005, I sent an email to the AccuWeather Forecasting Dept. each time one of these extreme values was recorded. This often resulted in additional, manually taken readings, to not go out to everyone.

In February 2014, I decided to move those postings online to this blog. I'd like to welcome the other forecasters at AccuWeather (and the general community) to reply with their readings when I post a blog. I will be gradually, over time, filling in additional reports from the past.


DISCLAIMERS: This is an UNOFFICIAL blog about what I refer to as "The Centre County Mesonet." That name is also unofficial; the Centre County Mesonet website just contains links to various (online) weather stations and webcams in the State College area. Because of the nature of automated stations, they can be in error.

Official climate information for Penn State University can be found on their website; official climate information for State College, PA is not recorded by the National Weather Service but the nearest stations are listed here and the PA State Climatologist maintains official data for the state. Additional information on Pennsylvania extremes can often be found via the Pennsylvania Storm Chasers group on Facebook, and my WeatherMatrix Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment